Monday, October 22, 2012

Third Year Teaching

The first year was a ticking time bomb, a fraying rope, a loose caboose...you get the point.

The second year, I had paved a path--thank goodness--but it was bumpy, and there are still some serious pot holes.

This year, the third year, is much better. And this year [breathes calmly] is my year to make my English classroom matter for students.

I don't want to be just proficient. I don't want my students to be average if they are not. I want them to find a way to matter and to use the language arts to help them. So, in this blog I'll be researching the following:

1. Technology - we sincerely need better computers and more devices for students to use. I don't want 8 students to sit to the side while the other 20 get to learn how to use a computer program.

2. Methods - sometimes I teach what I teach. Sometimes I get to choose. Sometimes my students get to choose. It has changed every year. I want to cement some methods while others should continually change.

3. Professionalism - what professional development am I currently studying? I'll be updating you.

4. Integrated biblical standards - I teach in a Christian school and too often we tack God on at the end (I was careful not to do that in this blog!). How do we consider God first, and how do we do it with purpose?

5. Media - is Media now my most important class to teach? The students spend so much time outside of school consuming all things Internet. I once read about a mother who didn't realize her son's Xbox 360 was interactive. Oh boy.

6. More - there is always more to discuss about education. Watch teachers talk about education sometime. Then you'll understand.

I have begun this blog with the intention of making my classroom outstanding. I want to teach with vigor, with poise, and with consideration for the learner.

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome Laurissa! My teaching career sounds a lot like yours. I can't believe we're already starting our 3rd year! My third year is off to a good start, but now I'm wanting to also figure out how to be better...this blog is a great way to keep yourself accountable. I love it already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read more about your third year of teaching!

    ReplyDelete